Download Washington Quitclaim Deed Form [PDF]

Read our step-by-step guide on how to transfer your property in Washington using our professional Washington quitclaim deed template.

Last update: 6 Dec 2023

Download Washington Quitclaim Deed Form [PDF]

The Washington quitclaim deed is a legal document one person, called the grantor, uses to transfer property to another person, called the grantee.

The main advantage of the quitclaim deed over other forms of deeds is that it has a simple form, which enables the parties to make property transfers easily and without formalities. 

On the other hand, the main flaw of the quitclaim deed is its lack of warranty. The grantor won’t be responsible if they transfer property that already has other claims from third parties.

The general quitclaim form is also known as the no warranty deed or deed without the warranty.

Quitclaim Deed Important Laws & Requirements in Washington

Laws & Requirements

  • Statute: Quitclaim deed—Form and effect § 64.04.050

  • Signing requirements: The quitclaim deed must be signed before the notary public. (§ 64.03.020)

  • Recording: The quitclaim deed must be filed with the County Recorder’s Office for recording.

  • Recording fees: $203.50 for the first page and $1 for each additional page.

  • Additional documents:

    • Cover Sheet. Must be submitted with the quitclaim deed if the quitclaim deed doesn’t include the information form. (§ 65.04.045)

    • Property Disclosure Statement. The purchaser must be given this document and informed about the property’s condition no later than five business days after entering into the purchase agreement.

When to Use a Quitclaim Deed in Washington

Due to its features, the general quitclaim form is often used for the following legal activities.

#1. Title Modifications

The grantor can use the quitclaim deed to make modifications and changes to the property title. They can do so to fix the errors in the title, for example, if there is a misspelled name or a wrong date entered. The grantor can also use it to update the information in the title.

Finally, the quitclaim deed can be used if the grantor wants to add or remove people from the title, for example, after divorce.

#2. Property Transfer

The quitclaim deed is most often used for transferring property. Its simple form enables the parties to quickly transfer the property between each other. However, due to the lack of warranty, this kind of transfer should be used only between trusted parties or family members.

Moreover, the grantee should always check the property title before the transfer to make sure there are no limitations in the title that will limit their future ownership.

#3. Living Trust Transfer

The grantor can use the quitclaim deed to transfer their property from their assets to their living trust. Considering that there is only one person involved in such a transaction, there is no need for any warranties, which makes a quitclaim deed a suitable solution.

How to Create a Quitclaim Deed in Washington 

#1. Fill Out The Form

Firstly, insert the date of the property transfer and the most important details about the grantor and grantee, such as their first and last names, mailing addresses, and marital status.

#2. Add the “Note Consideration”

This section provides information on the value of the property that the grantee owes to the grantor for transferring the property. The consideration can be any form of value, most often the transfer of money, the provision of certain services, or a default on debt.

#3. Write the Legal Description

The legal description should include the information that helps the parties individualize the property, namely the plot number, section, township, block, street address, and other information.

#4. Sign & Get it Notarized

The grantor should sign the quitclaim deed before the notary public or other body authorized to take acknowledgments of deeds.

#5. File the Quitclaim Deed

Finally, the parties should file the quitclaim deed with the body in charge of the deed registration.

Where to File a Quitclaim Deed in Washington

In Washington, for the quitclaim deed to be valid before third parties, it must be registered with the County Recorder’s Office according to the location of the property.

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Newest legal practices, savvy tips and insightful articles.